What is the difference between a Psychologist, a Psychiatrist, a Psychotherapist, and a Social worker?

A Psychologist is a professional who typically has completed a doctorate degree and has the ability to diagnose and treat several disorders.

A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who can prescribe medication.

A Psychotherapist is a trained professional who uses talk therapy to treat emotional problems.

A Social Worker is a regulated health professional who works with individuals, families and communities to improve health and well being.

Do you accept Health care insurance

We do not contract directly with insurance companies, but many people do find that our services are covered through their out-of-network benefits. 

Payment is made to Allied Psychological Services at the time of service and we provide you with a statement which you can submit to your insurance provider for reimbursement. We recommend that you contact your insurance company prior to your initial appointment with us, so that you are aware of your coverage.

At times, you may be required to obtain preauthorisation by your insurance provider for services at Allied Psychological Services; your therapist will be able to complete the required paperwork.

Accepted forms of payment: cash, and most major credit cards.

How much does it cost?

The cost of services is dependent on the type of service required.  Please feel free to contact our office for additional information.

How will I communicate with my therapist?

Following your initial intake, you will be scheduled with the first available and appropriate therapist. Your therapist will be able to discuss with you appropriate communication options.

How long will I need to participate in therapy before I feel better?

Every individual presents with unique challenges and therapeutic goals.  Your therapist will be able to analyze your presenting concerns and communicate an approximate treatment timeline

How do I make an appointment? Do I need a referral from a physician?

Feel free to contact our office at 416-487-0791 and ask for our intake department.  You do not need a referral from a physician.

How long are sessions? How often would we meet?

Therapy sessions are typically one hour in length. 

Frequency of sessions are determined by your therapist and it is dependent on several factors that your therapist will collaborate with you.

Do you prescribe medications?

No, we do not prescribe medications.

Cancellation Policy

If a session is scheduled and not attended or is cancelled without 24 hours prior notice, the client is responsible for the full fee. Insurance does not cover the cost of missed or late cancelled appointments.

What is a Psychologist/Psychological Associate?

A psychologist/psychological associate studies how we think, feel and behave from a scientific viewpoint and applies this knowledge to help people understand, explain and change their behaviour. To become a psychologist, a person has to have completed a graduate university degree in psychology. Psychologists usually have extensive experience conducting assessments, using empirically validated tools, in order to address specific questions around behaviour and interventions. Generally, psychologists engage in activities such as diagnosing disorders or problems of clients, determining appropriate interventions based on assessment results, clinical diagnoses and/or observations. Psychologists assist individual clients and third party agencies in making decisions about the best next steps. This can include a range of services from individual support and treatment, recommendations related to specific referral questions and/or in a consultant role. Only individuals registered with the College of Psychologists of Ontario (CPO) can use the title “Psychologist” or “Psychological Associate”.

What is a Psychotherapist?

Registered Psychotherapists work with individuals, couples and families in individual and group settings. As health care professionals, psychotherapists work in a wide range of settings. RPs are accountable to the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO) and only individuals who are registered with CRPO are able to use the title “psychotherapist”, “Registered Psychotherapist” or any abbreviation or variation thereof in any language, or to hold themselves out as qualified to practise as a psychotherapist in Ontario (no matter what title they use).

What is a Social Worker?

Social work is a profession concerned with helping individuals, families, groups and communities to enhance their individual and collective well-being. It aims to help people develop their skills and their ability to use their own resources and those of the community to resolve problems. Social workers help people resolve problems that affect their day-to-day lives. The focus is on finding practical solutions to use people’s own strengths to improve coping with their unique situation. Social workers also can provide counselling and psychotherapy.

DO YOU Have More Questions?

Call us today! (416) 487-0791